If you prefer to have this document in an alternative format, please email [email protected]
Audio transcript or ASL video available on demand.
Applications can be in point form, through video and/or voice memos.
For those selected for an interview:
- ASL interpretation available on request.
- Captions available on Zoom.
- Option for phone interview.
- Other accommodation available on request.
We believe in creating spaces where anyone can be involved, engaged, empowered, and inspired. Luminato adheres to Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and will work proactively through all stages of recruitment to create a barrier free hiring process, and will provide accommodations as required. To request accommodations please email Project Manager, Executive Office, Sarah Yellin ([email protected]).
Luminato is deeply committed to being accessible and anti-racist, both in the workplace and through the programming. We are committed to amplifying QTBIPOC voices and enhancing accessibility on stage, for our audiences, and for our staff. Selection decisions are based solely on job-related factors.
Vibrant and celebratory; a global player; supporting artists and inspiring social change: these are just a few ways to describe the international event that is Luminato, a civically engaged festival dedicated to performance, media, and visual arts programming that cuts across traditional art-form boundaries. Since 2007, when it was launched to shine a spotlight on Toronto as a globally-connected city boasting an incredible tapestry of creativity, Luminato Festival Toronto has entertained millions of people with performances, events, and spectacles involving over 15,000 artists from more than 40 countries.
The Role: Volunteer Manager
Application Deadline: December 5, 2022
Functional Area: Programming and Production
Full Time Contract
January 16th – July 28th 2023
Salary: $55,000 – $60,000 (pro-rated, inclusive of vacation pay)
We are looking for a detail-oriented people person with strong project management skills to lead our Volunteer Office team. Reporting to the Festival Producer, you will execute all aspects of the planning, implementation, and management of Luminato’s Volunteer Program leading up to and during our annual festival (June 7-18, 2023). Responsibilities include managing volunteer recruitment, managing the volunteer department budget, developing training materials, coordinating volunteer shifts and schedules, managing volunteers during the festival, and creating and coordinating engaging events for volunteers throughout the year. What you’ll do:
- Refine and implement a volunteer recruitment strategy while identifying and implementing strategies to engage, retain, and reward existing volunteers.
- Lead and liaise with internal departments to assess and define volunteer requirements ensuring proper coverage for all festival events and matching volunteer skills and interests with festival needs.
- Oversee shift scheduling and communication with volunteers.
- Recruit and manage the volunteer staff team.
- Develop and lead volunteer orientation and training materials and programs.
- Be the internal advocate for the volunteer program, providing regular input and updates at all-staff meetings and ensuring that departmental goals and deadlines are tracked on the organization’s critical path.
- Supervise and maintain a high degree of competency in the operation and administration of Luminato software systems, and administrative processes.
- Participate in city-wide volunteer associations with a community of your peers in volunteer management.
We understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to cultivate all of the skills and experience required to fulfill the responsibilities of this role. We encourage candidates to apply who see themselves as having a solid base skill set for the position and interested in learning the rest.
What You Must Have:
- Volunteer management experience particularly in a festival or cultural environment; including scheduling and conflict resolution.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders and the capacity to engage and motivate team members.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) with strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail.
- Experience managing a project budget.
- Experience in using Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as volunteer database software such as Better Impact.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with some evening and weekend work up to and during the festival in June.
It Would Be Nice If You Had:
- Experience using SharePoint and Teams
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the arts
- Commitment to your development and growth. Regular internal trainings in topics such as anti-racism, disability awareness, leadership as well as self-led professional development opportunity support.
- Great culture. we strive to create a supportive and understanding environment here at Luminato. Our work environment is relaxed and our hours are flexible, outside of an expectation to be online/ available between the hours of 10am and 3pm.
- Work-life Balance. Many employee-led social and wellness initiatives that all staff are encouraged to participate in.
- Hybrid work environment. Luminato is currently working in a hybrid work environment with a flex-office space at Artscape Youngplace, 180 Shaw Street, a fully accessible building. Our office is comfortable and relaxed, and has a great view of the city. Staff are expected to work in the office approximately 2 days a week; and otherwise to work wherever they feel most comfortable and productive, whether that is at home or at the office.
- Incredible Team. We have a dynamic, resourceful, talented and collaborative team here at Luminato. We are a small but mighty team who are constantly finding new ways of working together and supporting one another to achieve our organizational and personal goals.
Want to hear more? Visit our website and learn more about our team.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send us your resume and a cover letter telling us a bit about yourself, your experience, why you are the right fit for this role to [email protected].
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Luminato is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.