Since the time of publishing in June 2021, investigations have revealed an estimated 7,403 unmarked graves at the sites of former residential schools. The information below was updated as of June 1, 2021.
Earlier this month, we learned of 215 stolen lives. Today we have learned of 751 more. Each an undocumented loss. It is time to face the ongoing realities of colonization.
If you need support please reach out to the Indian Residential Schools Crisis Line, available 24/7: 1-866-925-4419.
If you want to support please donate to the Indian Residential School Survivors Society and sign the petition for a national day of mourning: https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-call-for-a-national-day-of-mourning-for-the-lost-children-of-residential-school
If you would like to learn more about the history of residential schools in Canada and the ongoing realities of colonization please visit:
- The Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
- Overview of the Indian Residential School System
- Indigenous Children and the Child Welfare System in Canada
- Calls to Action Accountability: A 2020 Status Update on Reconciliation
- The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation Reports
- The Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action
- Survivors Speak – A Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada