If you prefer to have this document in an alternative format, please email [email protected]
Audio transcript or ASL video available on demand.
Applications can be in point form, through video and/or voice memos.
For those selected for an interview:
- ASL interpretation available on request.
- Captions available on Zoom.
- Option for phone interview.
- Other accommodation available on request.
We believe in creating spaces where anyone can be involved, engaged, empowered, and inspired. Luminato adheres to Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and will work proactively through all stages of recruitment to create a barrier free hiring process, and will provide accommodations as required. To request accommodations please email Project Manager, Executive Office, Sarah Yellin ([email protected]).
Luminato is deeply committed to being accessible and anti-racist, both in the workplace and through programming. We are committed to amplifying QTBIPOC voices and enhancing accessibility on stage, for our audiences, and for our staff. Selection decisions are based solely on job-related factors.
Vibrant and celebratory; a global player; supporting artists and inspiring social change: these are just a few ways to describe the international event that is Luminato, a civically engaged festival dedicated to performance, media, and visual arts programming that cuts across traditional art-form boundaries. Since 2007, when it was launched to shine a spotlight on Toronto as a globally-connected city boasting an incredible tapestry of creativity, Luminato Festival Toronto has entertained millions of people with performances, events, and spectacles involving over 15,000 artists from more than 40 countries.
The Role: Director, Audience and Digital Experience
Application Deadline: September 11, 2023
Functional Area: Marketing and Communications
Full Time Permanent
Start Date: October 2023
Salary: $99,000 – $110,000
As Luminato continues to expand our reach and engagement, we are seeking a dynamic and innovative Director of Audience and Digital Experience to lead our efforts to enhance audience experiences and increase year-round engagement. You will be responsible for developing and executing strategies that enhance the overall festival and audience experience, both in digital spaces and in-person, working in collaboration with internal teams and external vendors. Your expertise will drive audience growth and brand loyalty through user experience (UX), design (UI), digital optimization, and effective tracking and enhancement of key performance indicators (KPIs). In this role, you will uncover evidence-informed insights to drive organizational decision-making and strategy development.
Ideal candidates will combine a data-driven understanding of audience behaviour and preferences with a strategic approach to user experience design. This role requires a creative thinker who can drive the evolution of our festival’s digital presence and overall audience experience.
What You’ll Do:
- Team Leadership: Provide guidance, mentorship and leadership to a strong team of professionals both on staff and through contracts and agencies, with expertise in digital tools and content, UX and UI, ticketing, and data analytics.
- Audience Engagement Strategy: Develop and implement a comprehensive audience engagement strategy to better understand existing audiences; deliver increasingly personalized experiences for attendee, member, donor, artist and volunteer segments; and increase engagement and interactivity with these audiences over time. Collaborate cross-functionally with teams creating programming and development-related experience.
- Digital Experience Strategy: Construct and implement a digital roadmap plotting an integrated, interactive and user-friendly experience across all digital touchpoints of the festival (including the website, social media, email communications and other apps) to enhance the digital experience and move audiences along an engagement funnel; Drive digital optimization through SEO, SEM, UX design, analytics & reporting, and continuous enhancement of conversion rates.
- Digital Content Strategy: Oversee the development and implementation of a year-round digital content strategy which produces high-quality, engaging, and shareable content which resonates with the organization’s target audiences.
- Data-Driven Insights: Conduct audience and user research and translate insights into actionable strategies to optimize audience experiences, tailor content, and improve conversion rates.
- Innovation and Trends: Stay current with emerging digital technologies, trends, and best practices in audience engagement and experience design. Integrate new ideas and technologies to continually enhance the festival experience.
We understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to cultivate all of the skills and experience required to fulfill the responsibilities of this role. We encourage candidates to apply who see themselves as having a solid base skill set for the position and interested in learning the rest.
What You Must Have:
- Proven track record of 10+ years in progressively senior user experience, digital marketing, digital strategy or related roles, preferably in the charitable sector
- Exceptional leadership and team management skills with proven experience in effectively leading and mentoring collaborative, cross-functional teams
- Experience developing and implementing organization-wide audience engagement and digital optimization strategies to meet organizational KPIs
- Substantial familiarity with digital platforms, social media, content management systems, and ability to leverage best practices to enhance user experiences
- Active participation in SEO/SEM, Google Analytics and CRM software
- Expertise in audience and user research and testing, performance measurement, and reporting
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities
- Experience demonstrating impact through various reporting methods
It Would Be Nice If You Had:
- Experience working in the arts and culture sector and/or live events
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs, including Sharepoint, Teams and OneDrive
- Knowledge of the local, national, and international arts community
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Digital Media, Marketing or a related field (Master’s degree preferred).
- Commitment to your development and growth. Regular internal trainings in topics such as anti-racism, disability awareness, leadership as well as self-led professional development opportunity support.
- Great culture. We strive to create a supportive and understanding environment here at Luminato. Our work environment is relaxed and our hours are flexible, outside of an expectation to be online/available between the hours of 10am and 3pm.
- Work-life Balance. Many employee-led social and wellness initiatives that all staff are encouraged to participate in.
- Incredible Team. We have a dynamic, resourceful, talented and collaborative team here at Luminato. We are a small but mighty team who are constantly finding new ways of working together and supporting one another to achieve our organizational and personal goals.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send us your resume and a cover letter telling us a bit about yourself, your experience, why you are the right fit for this role to [email protected].
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Luminato is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.