Building on the success of the inaugural 2020 Artists in Residence programs (AiR), Luminato is welcoming applicants for the 2022 program, generously supported by Power Corporation of Canada. Five (5) Greater Toronto, Southern Ontario artists from varying disciplines, each with at least 10 years of professional practice, will be chosen for this 7-month paid residency, running from January through July 2022.
AiR offers time and resources for artists to work on one large scale project, forge new relationships with like-minded artists across various mediums, and develop programming and curatorial skills. Successful applicants will also be involved in various Luminato initiatives throughout the residency and especially during the festival, including opportunities to lead workshops and other public facing events.
The program is centered on weekly cohort meetings, workshops, peer check-ins, and in-person gatherings, conducted in compliance with health and safety regulations. Artists are asked to commit to approximately 20 hours per month on meetings, workshops, networking opportunities and one-on-one debriefs.
The residency is designed to support and enhance the participants’ work on individual projects, to propel them to the next phase of their work through Luminato’s resources and international networks, and to engage with ideas about Artists’ roles and responsibilities in society.
Applicants must be prepared to work on a specific project, which can be at any stage of development. Accessibility features for the work will be developed with the artists and our Access team.
Although the 2020 AiR cohorts were focused on Black and Indigenous artists, this call is open to artists of all ethnicities, whose practice comes with a strong sense of their role in the community.
COVID-19 remains a very real influence on the planning and execution of many events in the arts community, and Luminato adheres to provincial and municipal mandates in planning in-person meetings and events.
What We Offer
As an annual international festival of arts and ideas we offer a residency program focused on supporting established/senior artists, practicing in various disciplines, who are currently working towards the realization of a large-scale project.
Through AiR Luminato aims to:
- Create the conditions to cultivate artistic exploration of large-scale projects
- Create opportunities for peer-to-peer networking, volunteering, mentoring and other forms of professional development
- Generate and support genuine relationships between artists, organizations and communities
- Prioritize established/senior artists who may have been marginalized and have maintained a consistent artistic practice
- Pay a monthly fee of $2,500 for 7 months ($17,500 total + HST if applicable)
- Provide maximum $2,000 contribution towards rentals, supplies, rehearsal/creation space etc.
- Organize group outings, classes and workshops across disciplines, developed with the cohort
- Create networking opportunities with industry professionals
- Provide coaching and support for the public facing component
Who should apply:
- Practicing professional artists with 10 or more years of experience, who exhibit artistic excellence and professionalism.
- Artists who live in the GTHA and are legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Artists who are civic minded, who are interested in discussing the artists’ role in society.
- Artists creating or transitioning to large- scale works, suitable for international presentation.
- We encourage applications from IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+ artists (although not exclusive to IBPOC artists, priority will be given to Indigenous, Black and Newcomer artists who have arrived in Canada within the last five years).
- Artists whose practice is focused on one or more of our five primary disciplines (music, theatre, dance, visual art, media arts). However, the programme is open to all forms of creation.
Luminato is a convenor of creativity grounded in equity, inclusion, and accessibility. Through exceptional works of art, we connect and collaborate, inspiring our audiences to open their hearts and minds to the complexities of the world.
Luminato believes in creating spaces where all are welcome, and adheres to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodations at any stage of the hiring process, please contact us at AIR@Luminato.com
Applications can be submitted through the online form, or submitted as a video file (max size). For large files and videos, please insert a link to the server/website/YouTube/Vimeo link where the file can be viewed.
For questions, email AIR@Luminato.com
Posted: November 10, 2021
Application Deadline: December 5, 2021 – 4pm EST
Start Date: January 4, 2021
Payment: $17,500 (+ HST if applicable)
Location: Toronto (GTHA)
Submission Deadline: December 5, 2021, at 4:00pm EST.
Submissions received after the deadline will not be eligible.
Having trouble with the online form? Click here to download the application and submit your responses to AIR@Luminato.com.