Term: 29 weeks, beginning January 6, 2020
Department: Programming and Production
Salary Range: $45,000 to $50,000 per annum /pro-rated
Application deadline: Open Until Filled
The Volunteer Manager is a seasonal position responsible for all aspects of Luminato’s impressive Volunteer Program, currently averaging 500 volunteers per festival.
This role includes implementing and managing the volunteer recruitment, training, and retention strategy for the organization, building a comfortable and inclusive atmosphere where volunteers feel their experience is valued and valuable, delivering a consistent experience for our audiences, and supporting the needs of the festival.
Roles and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate will manage the Volunteer Program at Luminato with the assistance of the Volunteer Coordinator, who will be selected by the Volunteer Manager and the Festival & Community Engagement Manager. The Volunteer Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Identify and implement strategies to engage, retain, and reward existing and new volunteers.
- Supervise and update recruitment content for website and other communications materials.
- Lead and liaise with internal departments to assess and define volunteer requirements ensuring proper coverage for all festival events and matching volunteer skills and interests with festival needs.
- Manage and update ongoing communication with volunteers including festival updates, specialty programs, scheduling and shift information
- Develop and deliver volunteer orientation and training programs (including supplemental materials).
- Identify and train team leaders to supervise other volunteers and represent Luminato.
- Interview specialized volunteer candidates with our recruitment partners: CultureLink and Montages.
- Follow Luminato policies and procedures and ensure a safe and supportive environment for the effective operations and organization of the Volunteer Department. Recommend updates to volunteer policies where appropriate.
- Work with Festival & Community Engagement Manager to build on existing volunteer benefits program.
- Manage and maintain Luminato’s volunteer database ensuring that it is current and effective.
- Determine needs and lead the ordering and distribution of volunteer t-shirts, hats, and promotional items.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to community with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders and the capacity to engage and motivate team members.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) with strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Flexibility and resourcefulness.
- Interest or experience in the arts.
- Time management and able to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Volunteer management experience particularly in a festival or cultural environment.
- Customer service experience and a proven track record in motivating individuals.
- Overseeing and coordinating a complex team of volunteers where resolving conflicts, managing people, and scheduling volunteers are critical to the organization’s success.
- Demonstrated technical and financial acumen to operate volunteer database (Better Impact) and manage budgets. Experience in using Microsoft Word and Excel.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- The role of the Volunteer Manager can be physically demanding requiring weekend and evening work particularly during the festival as well as volunteer orientation and training.
- Ability to lift boxes of programs, carry signage, set up displays, is helpful.
- The festival will often demand longer hours than regular office hours. The Volunteer Manager will work with the Coordinator to create a reasonable work schedule.
How to Apply
Please upload your resume and cover letter to Luminato’s online application portal by 5 PM EST on Monday, December 9, 2019.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Luminato is an equal opportunity employer. During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an in person interview) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
Upon request, this advertisement can be made available in alternative formats.